Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Ash Wednesday

I was reminded by a few others at work that today is Ash Wednesday -- 40 days before Easter -- and it's also the first day of Lent. On this special day of worship, the Priest would mark the forehead of each of us with ashes in the shape of a cross. It is a ceremony to symbolize a time for one to confess, to express sorrow for sins and faults, and to renew one's spirit for Easter.

Being a Catholic for almost my entire life time, I am embarrassed to admit that I do not remember this day without the reminder from others. Once I learned, I felt oblig
ated to attend a mass, so a few of us went to a nearby Church after work earlier. Here's the ash of cross on my forehead. If I recall correctly, it only needs to stay on my forehead until sunset and it can then be washed.Let's see ... What should I give up for Lent this year?? ~.~