Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Possible Scenario

My father has always been paranoid about a probable devastating earthquake hitting the bay (though he is safe by living on the other half of the world). Every now and then, he would ask me to stock up food and water so we would be able to stay alive in case of an earthquake strike. Not that I do not understand the potential consequences a natural disaster can possibly bring, but all the consumable items have an expiration date. Am I supposed to waste my money and restock everything once awhile?

Here are a few points to back up my perception:
In case of an earthquake …
1. If I manage to run outside the house safely, I’m sure I can somehow find myself food and water (from my neighbors, grocery stores or the Red Cross who should come for the rescue).


2. If my house collapses and I end up getting buried under the debris, what’s the chance for me to land myself next to the food/water supply, which I stocked up earlier for this to happen??

I draw a conclusion that stocking consumable supplies is not necessary. Or worst comes to worst, I have 3 toilet bowls in the house, which should sustain an enough amount of “fresh” water for a short while. Maybe a more appropriate approach is to keep all my toilets clean!!!!!!

I think ALL I need to mind is where my passport is. Honestly, if something like this happens, I will run as quickly as possible to the airport and fly back to HKG!