Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Dead virus bodies

If you are one of the Honey Bee's frequent visitors, you should remember that this is the first season I have gotten myself a flu shot. I trust my immune system but I decided to get it because I enjoyed going with the crowds and I couldn't resist better as it's free.

But dude, this is also one of the years I find myself getting sick more often. What's the flu vaccine doing in my body?! I did read on the news earlier that there's only a 40% chance that we would get ourselves exposed to a matching virus, which means, there's 60% chance that we would get sick if our immune systems are not strong enough to fight antigens. Though I have no clue in how vaccine companies tend to predict the type of flu virus for each season, these people should do a better job to at least elevate the target hit above 50% ... or what's the point to give the shot?!

A few days ago, I found myself waking up with a mild sore throat. It persisted for about two days, my lymphoid started to hurt. Yesterday morning, I woke up with some flu-like symptoms, such as headache, body ache, sore throat, and swollen lymphoid on my neck. I felt the weakness, but it wasn't as bad that I couldn't get myself into work. I made it through the day. Before bed, I dosed myself with some Tylenols.

I woke up this morning feeling better. Most of the symptoms have disappeared except the swollen lymphoid. My energy is back.

I blame these all to the poorly designed flu vaccine. Luckily, I didn’t pay a dime out of my pocket. As far as I understand, flu vaccine is an injection of killed-virus, which will trigger an immune response (to make antibodies) if we expose ourselves to the exact same type of virus. I should have trusted my own T cells better to fight off the virus than to have these dead virus bodies living in my blood stream without doing a thing to protect me.