Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My stay in San Diego

I'm in San Diego!!! Actually, this is already my 4th night here ...

The hotel was such a nightmare. Here I'm, at the Country and Town Resort Hotel. What a nice name ... a "resort hotel." I didn't do any research on hotels prior to my reservation as the conference was taken place at the hotel and it made a whole lot of sense to reserve my room at the same place. Once I checked into my room ... I was like ... Gosh, is this where I have to stay, by myself, in the next 5 nights? Here's a description of the room:

  1. The design of the room was old -- The carpet, the comforters, the curtains, the chairs were all dark blue in color.
  2. There's no air circulation in the bathroom, so I needed to leave the door open during shower.
  3. The TV was one of the smallest you could imagine ... 15 or the max 17 inch.
  4. Internet connection was charged 10 dollars per day, and the signal was weak and unstable.
  5. Light bulbs did not work well. One of the lamps went on and off.
  6. Statics in the alarm clock. Whenever the cell phone rang or was placed nearby, it made this scary static noises.
  7. Half of the wall behind the TV was a mirror.
  8. A huge drawing of a little girl, in a 1920's dress, dark blue in color, was hung on the other half of the wall behind the TV.
  9. Food at the restaurants in this hotel was ridiculously expensive! One egg costs 5 dollars on the breakfast menu. I believe you could get 2 cases of eggs at Costco with this price.

So, here's my choice. There were two beds in my room. Which one should I picked to sleep on? The one facing the little girl's picture or the one facing the mirror? I chose the one facing the mirror.

I guess seeing myself was better than seeing the little girl every morning when I woke up. No matter which direction I went, the girl's eyes seemed to follow. Well, I wasn't the unlucky one that got placed in such a room because all my coworkers' rooms were oriented the exact same way and with the exact same picture of the girl hanging on the wall. This drawing of the little girl had become one of the hottest topics we discussed during our social hangouts after the conference. Haha, one of my coworkers had hung a towel over it since the first night she arrived.

I'm usually pretty okay to be in the hotel by myself, but this one has scared me off quite a bit. I had a hard time falling asleep the first night.
My last stay in San Diego was phenomenal, in terms of hotel experience. I stayed at the Omni Hotel in downtown SD last time and it was the nicest one I had ever stayed for my life! Here's the blog I wrote during my stay.

Last night for me in this hotel. I can't wait to get out. Don't get fooled by the view. It's just a snapshot outside the balcony of my room.