Wednesday, November 30, 2005

One of a kind Treat

I am never a big fan of sweets, but here's an exception. Can't recall since when, I find myself addicted to Gelato -- The Italian ice-cream. The basic difference between regular icecream, which most of us are familiar, and gelato is the air content in each of them. Gelato has a very low (~15%) air content, whereas regular icecream has about 50%. The low air content is what makes the firmer and creamier texture in gelato. I tend to like it more because it also gives a stronger flavor.

Gelato isn't as common. At least, I can't locate any between Palo Alto and SF. When it comes to employees' physical, SRI has been quite good in taking care of us. Other than offering different types of fitness classes, we always have health seminars, annual physical exams, blood/cholesterol checks, and health fairs to promote the importance in staying healthy. In order to encourage group exercise, the fitness center has provided maps of different running/walking routes. Each route is a few miles long and takes about one hour to complete a round trip. Lately, a few of us decide to form our own team. Knowing that there's a gelato store located in downtown Palo,
the route we choose has to extend from Menlo to Palo. Anyhow, Palo downtown, the gelato store, is our destination. Gelato becomes my motivation to exercise. I guess it's sort of like a treat you'd throw to your dog after he/she completes a task.

Hopefully, exercising for an hour would balance out the calorie intake from gelato. If you need an advice to pick your gelato of choice, I highly recommend chocolate hazelnut and lychee (my choice after trying out all of them!).

No comments: