Wednesday, November 14, 2007

An Orange A Day

My most frequently consumed, but least favorite, fruit is ORANGE. I guess ever since I was able to eat solid food, my mom had started feeding me an orange a day. It's a habit of herself as well because she believes that oranges carry the necessary fibers and vitamin C (etc.) for a healthy body. Until nowadays, my mom would still un-skin an orange, cut it into bite size, put it in a container with a toothpick for me. However, no matter how tasty an orange is, after eating it almost daily for 20+ years, it can become a little tiring.

When I got home tonight, I realized that the fruit basket on the kitchen counter was full of oranges. Then I recalled the email my dad had forwarded me about how fruit was supposed to be consumed with an empty stomach in order to capture the most nutritions. OK, let's give it a try.

I picked up a knife and cut opened one ... oops, it's rotten inside, so I threw this one away.


Then I tried another one and this one looked fine, though not too attractive. I started eating it and it somewhat tasted a little different than what an orange used to taste. Well, but I couldn't care much and I finished the whole thing. Around half an hour later, I started feeling weird so I decided to lay on my bed to watch some TVs.

All of a sudden, I felt something extremely acidic flushed from my stomach to my esophagus, through my throat and to my mouth within a second. I couldn't react fast enough to run to the bathroom, so I swallowed it down @.@ ... Gross!? Then I rushed as quickly as I could to the bathroom and I threw up ... Not too serious, but with this mixture of stomach acid + the original acidity in the orange washing up and down my throat a few times could be quite unpleasant and painful.

What are the lessons to learn here?
  1. Never eat an orange with an empty stomach.
  2. Never consume an orange if it tastes weird.
  3. Never swallow your puke -- especially puke contains oranges.
  4. Never trust what you read from the forwarded email you receive.
Before this could happen again, I decided to throw this full batch of oranges into the trash can.

If you ever think the sour candies are sour, this is 200% worse!