Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Life Talk

How many elements in this pie chart matter to you?

Every now and then, unpleasant as it is to think about, life does not always follow the time line we plan and expect. After witnessing an unexpected death of someone I love and respect a few years ago, I always have this one thought in my mind:


When I get old and look back to my entire life, I want to feel that I have lived a meaningful life filled with personal fulfillment and happiness, so that I can die with a smile on my face.


Meaningful - I am not aiming to do something that will dramatically change the world, but I do want to participate in something that will have a positive impact to the world. I'm still not sure exactly how I can do more and do better, at least, I choose my job with this thought in mind. Though I may not have an extremely strong passion in scientific research, I do fully support the meaningness behind it and I'm very grateful to be able to contribute my effort in enhancing human health.


Happiness - Everyone defines happiness differently, so there is no real definition of it. I'm not going to disclose my happiness meter here. All I can say is, mine is relatively simple, which doesn't involve anything fancy or materialistic. I don't mind failing, but I do mind regrets. I believe we should have an urge to strive for our own happiness rather than waiting for it to come into our lives.


I don't like seeing some people who keep complaining about their lives and not think of a way to make it better. No Try; No Gain. You only live once.