Saturday, January 19, 2008

Marching Nightmare

I am now CPR certified!

This was the 2nd time I had received CPR training. My first time took place more than 10 years ago when I was a member of the Hong Kong Red Cross Junior group. It was more like an extra curriculum activity in school. In my school, I had a choice to join the Girl Scout or the Red Cross and I picked the Red Cross because I think the Red Cross has the prettiest uniform out of all uniformed groups and it was not as easy to become a member of it. Out of each class of 40 students, only 3 students would be picked to become a Red Cross member. Reading until here, you should be able to tell ... I chose to become a Red Cross member solely based on beauty and pride.

It was then my nightmare began. Not only that I was stuck in school for activities, meetings, and various first aid courses, a day per week and every Saturday after school, I was also forced to participate in the marching training -- a definite military type of training. If one of us failed to obey the drill commands to perform the appropriate step or action, the whole troop would get punished. Or for instance, if we were asked to perform a "MARK TIME" action (marching in place), but we didn’t bring our legs up to a 90 degree angle, we would be asked to "Mark Time" for an hour or more until we heard a "stop" command.

It was harsh, huh? I think it's a total torture. I spent 2 years in the team and when it was about time to enroll from the Junior to the Youth group, I withdrew from it. I knew expectation and dedication could only be higher in the Youth group. Every time when I saw the Youth troop marching in the field at school ... sweeting and getting yelled at ... I couldn't help but laughed and couldn't feel more thankful that I had gotten out of it.

Do not get me wrong, I still strongly support the mission and values of the Red Cross to protect human lives and help others in need. I just don't see how marching -- supposed to be a training of discipline -- fits into the picture of helping others ... V_V