Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Robot Robot

Have you ever wondered why we need to reinforce gender roles in children toys? I mean, I can understand certain professions, such as fire-fighters, truck drivers, police officers, are more male dominated because men are in general stronger and more aggressive than women. Whereas women are more suitable for professions which require more detail oriented and organizational skills such as nurses and secretaries. But, why toys? Why do trucks and toy cars always have to associate with boys whereas dolls and princesses have to go with girls?

I have always had a more boyish personality. I had not owned one Barbie in my life. I didn't
particularly enjoy wearing dresses unless I was in an occasion that I had to. Now when I think back, I wonder if there were any moments in the past that my parents had worried about my sexual preference ... haha ... but they still made the decision to send me to an all girl school.

I wouldn't say I grew up playing with only boy's toys, but I tended to enjoy playing with unisex toys more, such as board games, LEGO and electronic stuff -- robots in particular. Since I have a younger brother, so we did have a huge collections of different types of robots throughout our childhood years. I didn't enjoy watching the Japanese animations of robots fighting against each other that much but I did enjoy playing with robots because I think they all looked cool and each one of them had a unique design and personality.

I'm all grown up now and I have become more feminine in many other ways, but I still like robots. That's why some movies such as Toy Story, Transformers, and the lately released Iron Man, are one of my favorite ones. If I am not using the LG Chocolate phone now and that I know it's not a very practical phone, I would have bought this one -- A crossover of LG and Paramount Picture and Marvel Studios -- The LG Iron Man Phone.